Friday, February 20, 2015

February 2015 - Writing Check-in & a New Motto

Writing this month has gone much slower than I had hoped. It's all due to adjusting to the new job, a dog/housesitting gig and getting sick. But I have two stories and a poem pending acceptance and I've made a bit of headway on the Peculiar Predicament of Poppets novel. It's heading in a strange direction and might end up with a poem attached to it after all. (Since it began its life as a poem, this delights me.)

I've also decided to treat my writing time as if I'm on a date with Writing, a very alluring lover. This is different than my treat-it-as-a-job approach which I'm also still doing. But it is interesting. One major difference: If I look something up then get distracted by something else that might relate to what I'm working on, I feel guilty about wandering away from Writing whereas when it was more of a job thing, I felt defensive about NEEDING to do whatever it was for my job. It's all about perspective, right?

Maybe my new writing motto should be, 
"schedule writing like a job, honor Writing like a lover."

No comments:

Post a Comment