Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Notes on The Humor panel at the World Fantasy Convention

Over the weekend (Nov. 1-4), I was given the opportunity to go to World Fantasy Convention Toronto, Canada. This was an AWESOME present from my best friend!!! I met and reconnected with so many people and learned so much!

The Humor in Fantasy Panel was the first one I went to. I'm so glad I did! Here are my notes about the insight that spoke to me:

(I don't have the program with me, so I'll fill in the details later.)


Humor in Fantasy

"Humor often defines who we are."  ~ Tanya Huff
"[writing is] sharing a dream with someone you have never met."  ~ Sarah Beth Durst

Laughing with characters you love
Humor can start with the premise and/or it can come in the editing process... word choices based on "is it funny?"

Some forms of humor:
  • Situational
  • Premise
  • Unexpected or "pie in the face"
  • discovery - giving the audience something they can perceive before the the character gets it.
  • banter
  • unintentional character revelation - done usually through dialogue
  • splash of the absurd
  • embarrassment
  • coping mechanism
BALANCE - do not sacrifice what feels true for what's funny

Be aware that to a certain extent, much humor is generational
Universal humor is much harder to attain, but carries through the years

Make sure the humor doesn't deflate the tension/stakes of the scene
(be sparing with humor that makes fun of the characters)

Be aware of:
  • Where there is the anticipation of humor (from the characters or the audience) and use it!!
  • Humor that makes the reader uncomfortable so you can decide if that's what you want to do
  • how humor can create a bond with the reader
Symphony of humor....
  • sprinkling the humor throughout
  • pacing it appropriately throughout the piece... i.e. a little Oboe goes a long way!!
Humor often comes from the outsider viewpoint. Since Fantasy / SciFi is already looking at the world askew, it's often a good match.

Draw from the people who make you laugh. inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment